Tuesday 17 January 2012

21st century girl:MISHKA KADIR, part 2

You've seen her pictures, you've liked it. Now, know the events that led up to those pictures with a 9 question and answer interview with miss Kadir.

1. Since what age are you wearing hijaab?
    -I have been wearing hijaab since the age of 11-when I became a women

2. What does hijaab mean to you?
    -Hijaab is a protection. I see it as self-expression. I see hijaab as a blessing. What hijaab means to me is possibly different to what it means to others. Hijaab is my identity.

3. Why does it have this particular meaning?
    -Muslim women are given this opportunity to cover their assets so that they are protected.Hijaab is our way of showing others that we respect ourselves, to know that flaunting our features creates undesired attention at times. Hijaab carries great meaning to me because  as a young Muslim women I can see the logic and sense in wearing hijaab. Islam does not propose things for nothing. There is a reason for everything the Quran states. If one reads surah An Nur verse 32, one will be able to see that Allah (SWT) tells us why we should cover ourselves- hijaab is only to benefit ourselves- those who wear it.

4. Has your hijaab style changed over the years?
   -My style has definitely changed. When I started wearing hijaab I followed the common trend in Cape Town. As I grew older, I came to love my hijaab. I experimented with different styles that I searched for on the net. I wore my hijaab up, then down, then up again. At the moment, one can interpret my mood by noticing my hijaab style. My photos will give you an idea of how I've been wearing my hijaab for a few years till this day.

5. What would you define you current hijaab style as?
     - I can't categorize it in one term. I'd like to think it's a mixture of Arab and Bohemian because there is a structure but yet it is free and natural. Although I'd like to also think it's my unique style- maybe I could name it "The Michiko"( a high school name).

6. What are your hijaab do's and dont's?
   - Don't be scared
   -Don't wear hijaab as a fashion statement, in other words, when wearing your hijaab be dressed like a   dignified muslim lady.
   - Do experiment with different syles.
   -Do mix colours.
   - Do try wearing more than one scarf.
   - Do mix textures
   - Do feel proud when appearing in public with your hijaab on.

7. Do you have any hijaab inspirations or gurus?
   -I don't know of any Gurus nor have I found any inspirations. I simply find my own style and what I fell comfortable in.

8. You've recently traveled to Europe, tell us what you experienced there while being a hijaabster.
    -Europe was different- the attitude towards muslims is very different to other countries I've been to.During my time touring Europe I felt comfortable in my hijaab because I felt I had something they didn't-protection and dignity. In London I came across one local that was wearing hijaab; the others were Arab tourists probably from different parts of the UAE. In London the attitude is welcoming. There is a scope for muslim citizens and tourists. France, on the other hand was not welcoming. In Paris, I had a problem with my train station pass. I went to the information desk window, I waited while two colleagues spoke, eventually the one left and I expected the other lady to help me at that point. She didn't. I waited almost five minutes after her colleague had left. I said, "Excuse me" numerous times but this women blatantly ignored me. When she was ready she helped me. She took my ticket, did something with it and when she was finished handed it back to me-without saying a word. Also, in Paris, the women in hijaab were tourists-hence the Governmental ban of muslim French women wearing their head scarf in public. Spain, is supposedly a muslim country after being conquered by the Arabs some time in  history. Although, the headscarf is not a common sight! This made me sad-I have a few friends in Spain that wear their hijaab and I was under the impression all the muslims wore their hijaab. I toured five major cities of Spain, namely Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, Cordoba and Granada, and I only saw two muslim women with a head scarf. But in all I was at ease in Spain-the people are very welcoming; all the locals are friendly with everyone. Even during the negative experiences of my travels I always feel proud in my hijaab. When people look at me like they've never seen a muslim women covered up, I kindly smile at them.

9. Do you have any particular dreams as a hijaabster for the rest of the hijaabsters in and around Cape Town and South Africa?
  -My biggest dream for the women of South Africa is for them to realise how beautiful they look in their hijaab regardless of their colour. The light that shines from your faces when you covered for the sake of Allah is one of the most beautiful sights. See the hijaab as an accessory to your already existing beauty. For those that think they wont get anywhere in life if they wear hijaab, I wish their eyes open and are attracted to the beauties of the religion of Allah(SWT)-it is only through Allah that you gain success.




No comments: